Zoom Sets the Stage for the Future of Communications at Zoomtopia 2020
“Zoom is for you, our courageous, hardworking, and creative community of users, and so is Zoomtopia. We have been working hard to create a world-class, value-filled virtual event. We have also been planning, preparing, and delivering on the promise of Zoom to best serve you,” said Yuan. “One thing we’ve learned in this challenging time is that remote work does work. The future will bring a hybrid of the best of in-person and virtual communications. The announcements we make today at Zoomtopia demonstrate that Zoom is built for this moment and beyond. We have the platform to support what the world needs - today, tomorrow, and well into the future.”
Among the most significant developments to the Zoom platform:
- OnZoom: A one-of-a-kind online event platform for Zoom users to create and host free, paid, and fundraising events. Hosts can grow their businesses, expand their reach into new audiences, and give back through native donation integration. Zoom users can discover these events and sign up for new experiences with additional functionality like gifting tickets and an attendee dashboard to keep tabs on favorite events and brands. Available starting today as a public beta for US users to attend events from SMBs and flagship content partners like WW (formerly Weight Watchers) at OnZoom.com. More about OnZoom.
- New end-to-end encryption (E2EE) offering: This optional feature will be generally available in technical preview to free and paid Zoom users next week. It can be enabled at the account, group, and user level, and, depending on how the account admin sets up the feature, can be toggled on and off by the host on a by-meeting basis. When enabled, Zoom’s E2EE ensures that communication between meeting participants using Zoom applications is encrypted using cryptographic keys known only to the devices of those participants. With E2EE, no third party - including Zoom - is provided with access to the meeting’s private keys. More about E2EE.
- Customizable SDK: Zoom is adding new enhancements to its SDKs, enabling developers and companies to enrich their own custom video-based applications with Zoom’s platform, available now on Android, iOS, and web. Developers can take advantage of a customizable UI and session control, making it easier for them to bring high-quality video, audio, and instant chat to their applications. More on customizable SDK.
- Zapps: Zapps enable developers to create apps that power workflows before, during, and after the meeting. Zoom has brought first and third-party developed apps into the meeting experience for real-time adoption. Zapps are designed to give developers a fast and flexible web view canvas to create apps, viral distribution, and IT deployment and manageability. Over 25 launch partners joined Zoom - their demo videos are available at zoom.us/zapps. More about Zapps.
- Unified communications platform enhancements: Zoom has developed new functionalities for its core unified communications platform. More about the UCaaS Platform and Zoom Rooms enhancements.
° Immersive scenes: Immersive scenes lets the host set a custom background theme for their meetings or create layouts where participant videos are embedded within a scene that everyone shares, like a classroom or courtroom.
° Zoom for Home: Support for DTEN ME, Facebook via the Zoom on Portal app, and Zoom Rooms appliances are generally available. Amazon Echo Show, DTEN onTV, Google Assistant-enabled Smart Displays including Nest
Hub Max, and Yealink A20 will be supported by the end of year. Coming in 2021 are additional hardware offerings from HP, Lenovo, and Neat.
° Contactless collaboration: Enhanced voice command options and simplified pairing of personal devices to control Zoom Rooms meeting experiences.
° Enhanced whiteboarding: A suite of whiteboarding enhancements will enable persistent collaboration across mobile, desktop, and rooms.
° Zoom Rooms smart gallery: Leveraging AI, Zoom Rooms smart gallery presents in-room participants as individuals in gallery view to better enable face-to-face communication between in-office and remote participants.
° Zoom Phone features: Alert safety team members and 911 dispatchers simultaneously with E911, which integrates with Zoom Digital Signage and Zoom Chat to inform employees and guide responders. Other upcoming Zoom Phone features include Team SMS and AI-powered spam detection and blocking.
° Enhanced Webinar features: Reactions, breakout rooms, customized lobbies, and debrief rooms.
° Video Waiting Rooms: Hosts will be able to choose to admit a guest after seeing them in a waiting room.
° High Fidelity Audio: Using AI, Zoom will automatically detect when to turn on High Fidelity mode.
- Personal workspace hardware certification: With long-term remote work becoming more prevalent, Zoom is expanding its hardware certification program to include personal workspace devices. The additional hardware types include personal and portable USB and Bluetooth speakerphones such as the new Poly Sync 20, webcams, and all-in-one desktop systems. About this certification program.
Zoom Cares & Sustainability
Over one billion children and families struggle with school closures. Connectivity is a major driver of inequality, with six million children in the US alone unable to get online to learn. They are losing months of essential learning during COVID-19. Zoom recently donated over
Zoom cares for the long-term benefits of our employees, customers, and community. The company is extending its value of care beyond philanthropy, with the development of a comprehensive sustainability program. Zoom strives to make a positive impact by delivering virtual connections to the global community and committing to build a sustainable future for our environment and society. The Zoom sustainability program will leverage the company’s strengths and products to do more for the environment, foster trust, and deliver happiness and care for our communities. More on Zoom Cares.
Growth & Recognition
Zoom has continued to see remarkably high usage. The platform now supports over 3 trillion annualized meeting minutes, and regularly sees well over 300 million daily meeting participants. This includes participants from over 125,000 schools that are using Zoom for free during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Zoom has continued to receive industry and public recognition, including its 5th consecutive placement as a Leader in the
To attend Zoomtopia, a free virtual event with over 90 educational sessions, over 250 speakers, business leader and celebrity appearances, and opportunities to connect, collaborate, and learn, visit zoomtopia.com.
*Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings or other designation. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
Zoom PR Contact
Global PR Lead
Source: Zoom Video Communications, Inc.